Buffalo Style Turkey Meatballs

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF

Buffalo wings, an ever popular snack.  I've seen buffalo style cauliflower all over the web.  And there is all kinds of recipes for buffalo dip.  I just can't seem to get enough of the tangy buffalo flavor, myself.  My latest attempt at using the spicy~tangy flavors of this popular snack has been with meatballs, Buffalo Style Turkey Meatballs.



The first time I came up with the recipe the spices were off and it needed something to give it a crunch. After making them a second time, I decided that the chopped celery was key. It gives this snack a slight crunch and something to counteract the spice.

The easiest way to brown the meatballs is in the oven.  Since the ground turkey is almost completely fat free, you need to oil a foiled line baking pan really well.  Add the meatballs, not touching, and roast in a 425F oven for 15~20 minutes.  I don't turn them, just leave space between and they brown nicely.  Transfer the browned meatballs to serving dish and pour prepared buffalo sauce over; toss to coat and serve with blue cheese dip.  I've found serving them in little ramekins on top of a bit of shredded coleslaw mix {without dressing} gives a nice crunchy contrast and something to cut the spice of the sauce.





Buffalo Style Turkey Meatballs
Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
2 stalks celery, chopped into small pieces
1 c shredded cheddar
1/2 c panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp buffalo wing sauce (Frank's is the best!)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
olive oil for browning meatballs

Sauce
1 c wing sauce
1/4 c butter

Directions
Mix first 8 ingredients. Form into meatballs {makes about 30 meatballs}. Brown in olive oil for about 15~20 minutes, turning occasionally to cook evenly and brown all sides. Alternately, place on well oiled foil lined baking sheet; roast in oven on 425F for 15-20 minutes {this is my preferred method}.

Transfer to a serving dish.  Melt butter and mix with wing sauce. Pour over meatballs. Serve with additional wing sauce and blue cheese dressing.


8 comments:

  1. Love the idea of putting the meatballs on a stick. Food is always more fun when in KABOB form! Great flavors as well! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love any kinds of meatballs but wow this one sound very spicy and delicious. You are so creative! I agree with Rindy and love it on the skewers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! People always do swedish meatballs and after a while that can get boring. This is a great new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like fun. I have never used turkey when making meatballs; but perhaps I should just venture forth! Also, on a side note, how do you make your pictures appear on your blog in their new "tiled" format?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds really delicious. Buffalo wings started at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo. My friends and I use to go there and listen to rhythm and blues. We didnt know it would be famous.

    I like the use of turkey here. You awlays have good stuff Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Franks is my absolute favorite. This sounds like a filling lovely snack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rindy~ The sticks were kind of an after thought, but I have found those thoughts to be the best:)

    Robin Sue~ Thanks, I have been on a meatball mind binge or something like that!

    Michele~ I agree completely. I was looking for something different from Swedish or sweet and sour meatballs as well as wings. I think it worked.

    Monica~ The pictures I have been doing lately have been edited with Picassa which is downloaded for free from Google. It is so easy to use; the tile effect is a collage created with various pictures. Try it! I will also try to put up a post about it soon since I learned about it from my children; I figure there might be others who don't know about this simple and free tool:)

    Lori~ Oh, you are sweet. That is so cool about being there from the beginning of the wings!

    NP~ Franks is the best, EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! Planning some snacks for an upcoming football party and this sounds like a "healthier" alternative than wings.... (I LOVE wings)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.